Direct download link: Episode 20
This week Audrey and I chat about CenturyLink acquiring Level 3 and what these kinds of mergers mean for consumers, new and improved ways you can be tracked via your mobile device, and lastly, Facebook’s increasing ability to influence what information you have access to. Enjoy!
CenturyLink acquires Level 3
- CenturyLink, a Network Provider, to Acquire Level 3, a Rival – The New York Times
- The $34 billion deal from two companies you’ve likely never heard of
- Tier 1 network – Wikipedia
Cross-device tracking with ultrasonic signals
- How to block the ultrasonic signals you didn’t know were tracking you | Ars Technica
- MAVProxyUser/SilverPushUnmasked: SilverEdge Inc. SilverPush Demo Apps (unmasked)
Facebook fake news and “ethnic affinity” ad targeting
- This Analysis Shows How Fake Election News Stories Outperformed Real News On Facebook – BuzzFeed News
- Renegade Facebook Employees Form Task Force To Battle Fake News – BuzzFeed News
- Facebook Lets Advertisers Exclude Users by Race – ProPublica
- Facebook Says it Will Stop Allowing Some Advertisers to Exclude Users by Race – ProPublica
Things we liked on the internet this week
New merchandise now available!
Two new, cool items are now available in the Recompiler Shop:
Join us for a holiday countdown
This year we’re doing a special countdown to the holidays. From November 28-December 24, we’ll be sending out a series of short daily emails featuring great learning resources, gift ideas, and organizations to support. Join us by signing up for the mailing list (be sure to check the box for “Holiday Countdown 2016”).
Bonus! On December 24 we’ll pick three lucky subscribers at random to each receive a gift: a collection of the first year of Recompiler issues (these are not available to buy); a “Technology is for Everyone” tote bag; or a “DNS is Broken” mug. We’ll only include you in the drawing if you’re on the list on December 24, so don’t forget to sign up.
Support the Podcast
We love hearing from you! Feedback, comments, questions…
We’d love hearing from you, so get in touch!