Direct download link: Episode 26.
This week Audrey and I chat about Meitu and how common it is for mobile apps to profile your device and collect other analytics and how AT&T turning off its 2G network in San Francisco caused the bus tracker not to work. We discuss the Guardian’s poor coverage of WhatsApp security, and finally, we share things we liked on the internet this week. Enjoy!
- Megaviral Meitu “beauty” app’s data grab is anything but skin-deep | Ars Technica
- mjg59 | Android apps, IMEIs and privacy
- China Issues New Rules for Mobile Apps | Inside Privacy
AT&T 2G and SF Muni
- Why Muni Arrival Times Are Off This Week, and How We’re Working to Fix Them | SFMTA
- Stop the Cap! AT&T Shuts Down Its 2G Wireless Network Creating Problems for San Francisco’s NextBus System ·
- WhatsApp vulnerability allows snooping on encrypted messages | Technology | The Guardian
- Open Whisper Systems >> Blog >> There is no WhatsApp ‘backdoor’
- In Response to Guardian’s Irresponsible Reporting on WhatsApp: A Plea for Responsible and Contextualized Reporting on User Security | technosociology
- Diffie–Hellman key exchange – Wikipedia
- Disaster Safety Library | American Red Cross
- Build a Kit | The City of Portland, Oregon
- The Best Emergency Preparedness Supplies | The Sweethome
Things we like on the Internet
- Christie: Resistance Manual
- Audrey: “we don’t deserve capybaras” and “it’s back!! we don’t deserve capybaras: a(nother) thread”
Many ways to listen and subscribe
And, you’ll always be able to subscribe and find all episodes of the podcast on recompilermag.com/podcast. If you listen through iTunes, it would help us out tremendously if you could leave a review. This helps others find the show. It doesn’t have to be lengthy. A simple “I enjoy the show” with your choice of stars, I recommend 5 of course, is all that’s needed.
Support Recompiler contributor Mandy Moore
Some sad news and a request. Last Friday, mother of Recompiler contributor Mandy Moore (@therubyrep) passed away. Mandy could use your support during this difficult time and has set up a GoFundMe campaign for those who would like to contribute financially. She says:
Many people have asked me what they can do, and I think in lieu of flowers, she would want to have donations go to getting my sister through her last year of college and to also put some away for Mazie for when she gets older. In fact, the last thing she told me before she went to sleep in the hospital and didn’t wake back up was that I needed to “Get that child to Disney World as soon as possible.”
Support the Recompiler
Lastly, please support the Recompiler with a subscription or monthly contribution. You’ve probably noticed that we do not selling advertising either here on the podcast or in the magazine. We do this so we can concentrate on developing great content with you, our audience, our community.
In order to sustain our efforts, we need your financial support.
We love hearing from you! Feedback, comments, questions…
We’d love hearing from you, so get in touch!