Direct download link: Episode 29.
This week Audrey and I chat about all the ways the Internet and your data are trying to kill you, including Cloudbleed, SHA-1 collisions, CloudPets, and Amazon S3. tldr; stay away from anything connected to the cloud! Just kidding, kinda…Enjoy!
CloudFlare / Cloudbleed
- Incident report on memory leak caused by Cloudflare parser bug
- Here Are The Passwords You Should Change Immediately – BuzzFeed News
- Cloudbleed: How to deal with it – Medium
Amazon S3 Outage
- Summary of the Amazon S3 Service Disruption in the Northern Virginia (US-EAST-1) Region
- That big Amazon S3 outage was caused by a typo, company admits / Boing Boing
- Creepy IoT teddy bear leaks >2 million parents’ and kids’ voice messages | Ars Technica
- Troy Hunt: Data from connected CloudPets teddy bears leaked and ransomed, exposing kids’ voice messages
Many ways to listen and subscribe
And, you’ll always be able to subscribe and find all episodes of the podcast on recompilermag.com/podcast. If you listen through iTunes, it would help us out tremendously if you could leave a review. This helps others find the show. It doesn’t have to be lengthy. A simple “I enjoy the show” with your choice of stars, I recommend 5 of course, is all that’s needed.
Call for contributors for Issue 8
Issue 8 will finish our second year1 of publishing! To celebrate, we’re going to do a wildcard (or *) theme. That means that if there’s something you’ve been waiting to share, this is the right time for it! Here’s a few ideas to get you started.
- how does the internet work?
- your favorite tools
- what you wish someone had told you before you started
- anything else about technology you’d be excited to share!
We look for ideas that will be effective at an advanced beginner to intermediate level of technical knowledge, and that are grounded in the author’s personal experiences. We’re especially interested in work from people who are part of under-represented groups in technology. Contributors are paid.
Find the details and submit your ideas at https://recompilermag.com/participate/. Submissions are open through April 6.
Issue 6: Data is shipping imminently!
Fabulous contents include:
- Mistakes Were Made: a Series of Unfortunate Data Events by Rachel Shadoan
- Digital Repositories, Data, and Us by Ann Cooper
- We Were Always Here: Absences at the Intersection of Identity and Data Collection by Valerie Collins and Nicole Contaxis
- Exploring an SQL Database by Amy Farrell
- Data Cleaning: a Necessary Chore by Serena Peruzzo
- All the News That’s Fit to Sync: on Journalism, Tech, and Open Source Communities by CJ Joulain
- The 1900 Paris Exposition
Subscribe now to get your copy!
Support the Recompiler
Lastly, please support the Recompiler with a subscription or monthly contribution. You’ve probably noticed that we do not selling advertising either here on the podcast or in the magazine. We do this so we can concentrate on developing great content with you, our audience, our community.
In order to sustain our efforts, we need your financial support.
We love hearing from you! Feedback, comments, questions…
We’d love hearing from you, so get in touch!
- By year we mean a set of 4 issues. Some of these took a little longer on the calendar :) ↩