Update: we’ve exceeded our goal at $5159 — thank you! Read on to find out how you can help
On Saturday, Recompiler Media officially turned two! I am so happy that we’ve made it this far. I continue to learn so much from this work, and I feel very lucky to be able to share it with you and our contributors. Here’s what we’ve accomplished and how things are going.
The best parts!
- We published three issues: #4 (legacy systems), #5 (hardware), and #6 (data).
- We shared 20 new articles to read for free on our website.
- Our Kickstarter for The Responsible Communication Style Guide raised $21,006.
- We released 28 podcast episodes.
- We added two new products: a DNS mug and a technology tote bag.
Where we’re struggling:
- We currently have 120 active subscribers (this is down from a peak of about 250 last year).
- We receive $63 each month in support from readers.
- We have three sponsors for Issue 6 totaling $300 and none for Issue 5.
- We receive $6 in support for each podcast.
This is not a sustainable level of subscriptions, sales, and reader support. The way things are right now, we won’t be able to continue publishing The Recompiler into year three.
I know we have a lot of enthusiastic readers, and many of you contribute what you can. Here’s what we need:
- If you forgot to renew your subscription, please do that! I send out reminders but there is a limited amount of time I can spend on admin tasks and still keep the articles coming.
- If you’ve been meaning to subscribe: this is the time. We have print and digital options, and we can do invoicing or bundles for schools, libraries, and offices. Email us to discuss.
- If you have the means to make a recurring contribution or sponsor an issue, this makes a huge difference in our ability to keep things running smoothly.
- Finally, if you haven’t ordered a copy of the book yet, it will be out soon and it’s a great resource.
We need to bring in about $3000 by the end of the month in order to publish Issue 7 (security) on schedule. I was hoping to do a fun extra for readers to celebrate this anniversary, but we’re stretched really thin just keeping everything else running. So here’s what I can do: for every $500 in new subscriptions, renewals, monthly pledges, and sponsorships, I’ll find something fun to post on our Twitter account.
Thanks for reading this far, and all your enthusiasm and support. We wouldn’t be able to do this without you.