Download: Episode 34.
This week, Audrey and I chat about Uber’s latest shenanigans, Facebook’s report about “information operations” on its platform, the creepy Amazon Look and more. Enjoy!
- Uber’s C.E.O. Plays With Fire – NYTimes.com
- Uber’s ‘fingerprinting’ of iPhones after users delete app has sparked an FTC complaint – The Washington Post
- Torching the Modern-Day Library of Alexandria – The Atlantic
- Facebook says it will act against ‘information operations’ using false accounts | Reuters
- Facebook to fight fake news groups
- Amazon Wants to Put a Camera and Microphone in Your Bedroom – Motherboard
- Zeynep Tufekci on Twitter: “With this data, Amazon won’t be able to just sell you clothes or judge you. It could analyze if you’re depressed or pregnant and much else. https://t.co/irc0tLVce9”
- Unroll.me’s CEO is ‘heartbroken’ that users are upset their data was sold to Uber – The Verge
- My Comments on the Unroll.Me // Uber Situation – Perri Chase – Medium
- I worked for a company that nearly acquired unroll.me. At the time, which was ov… | Hacker News
Things we like on the Internet this week
Birthday Fundraiser: Thank you!
Thanks to everyone who contributed to our 2nd Birthday fundraiser. We exceeded our goal of $3k and raised over $5k! This means we’ll be able to print and ship Issue 7: Security on time. It also means that I have a lot of tongue-twisters to read dramatically and also that I’ll be finding a way to read them LIVE, ON THE AIR! Stay tuned for that.
And, of course, there’s still time to support the Recompiler with a subscription, monthly contribution, or by purchasing a mug or tote bag from our shop. The upcoming Responsible Communication Guide is also available for pre-order.
Many ways to listen and subscribe
And, you’ll always be able to subscribe and find all episodes of the podcast on recompilermag.com/podcast. If you listen through iTunes, it would help us out tremendously if you could leave a review. This helps others find the show. It doesn’t have to be lengthy. A simple “I enjoy the show” with your choice of stars, I recommend 5 of course, is all that’s needed.
Support the Recompiler
Lastly, please support the Recompiler with a subscription or monthly contribution. You’ve probably noticed that we do not selling advertising either here on the podcast or in the magazine. We do this so we can concentrate on developing great content with you, our audience, our community.
In order to sustain our efforts, we need your financial support.
We love hearing from you! Feedback, comments, questions…
We’d love hearing from you, so get in touch!