Hello Recompilers, Good news. The Recompiler Issue #9: Hard Problems is available (and #8 is here). Like a bitter fruit, let's indulge in a little nostalgia. "You're what I couldn't find: A totally amazing mind, So understanding and so kind, You're everything to me." "Dreams", Cranberries. Reading: Inclusivity through ungendered design: "The perpetuation of gender stereotypes through design... harms the ability for … Continue reading Newsletter #26: The Spectre of Loss
This week Audrey and I chat about the impact of Spectre and Meltdown, how easy it is to harvest credit cards numbers in the browser, and Kodak's new cryptocurrency. Enjoy!
- [01:26] What it looks like when you're neighborhood grocery store shuts down
- [06:02] Sams club closures
- [09:19] iPhone performance benchmarks after Spectre security update | Melv1n
- [10:51] "this translates into seven figures in our AWS bill"
- [13:29] Speculative execution considered harmful in 1995
- [14:44] Phabricator is not affected by Spectre or Meltdown because PHP is too slow
- [15:55] What Spectre and Meltdown Mean For WebKit
- [16:33] I’m harvesting credit card numbers and passwords from your site. Here’s how.
- [29:02] Attack of the Week: Group Messaging in WhatsApp and Signal
- [34:31] Kodak bitcoin miner on display at CES 2018
- [36:37] Kodak announces its own cryptocurrency and watches stock price skyrocket
- [39:02] Monkey selfie copyright dispute
- [43:44] This man has made more money trading cryptokitties than investing in his IRA
- [45:47] Blockchain is an elaborate work-around for a *very specific problem*
- [47:26] I Partied With The Robot Strippers Before The CES
- [48:49] Neural Network Pies
- [51:03] Cat that has never been so insulted in all nine of its lives of the day.
This week Audrey and I chat about Spectre and Meltdown. Enjoy!
- [10:17] Speculative Executive
- [41:09] Chrome site isolation
- [40:51] Mitigations landing for new class of timing attack (Mozilla Security)
- [44:29] Intel CEO sells crap ton of stock before Spectre and Meltdown made public
- [48:39] Google maps
- [50:52] this is how much i’m striving to love myself this year
- [51:27] TFW your 1979 VAX 11/750 is immune to the Intel kernel memory leak bug
Hope you all had a fulfilling holiday season. The last issue of the magazine for this 2017 was #8. It’s available for purchase in the shop, with Issue #9 releasing shortly. Reading: Calling out sexual assault in a viral Google spreadsheet: CW: discussion of sexual assault and harassment. On the brink of being outed by Harper's, Moira Donegan outs herself on The Cut as being the creator … Continue reading Newsletter #25: Autonomy, Accountability, and Crowdsourcing the Whisper Network
This week Audrey and I chat about algorithm accountability efforts in NYC, Reality Winner, sexual assault in the infosec community, and more. Content warnings for sexual assault are noted in the show notes in the relevant places, with timestamps so you can avoid those sections of the show if you prefer.
- [01:15] Ring in the new year with The Recompiler
- [02:38] Podcast equipment wishlist
- [02:54] Podcast now has chapters
- [06:23] CFP for Issue 10 Science extended
- [07:04] Check out the new mug and tote bag in the Recompiler shop
- [07:50] Attempting to make algoritms accountable in NYC
- [10:12] Bill 1696 and Learning Old Systems
- [16:14] In Ep. 38 we talk about how NYPD has no way to access it's forfeiture database
- [16:55] Cathy O'Neil's "Weapons of Math Destruction"
- [23:45] Portland City Council Meetings
- [26:23] Who Is Reality Winner?
- [28:41] Friends of Reality Winner
- [49:49] [CW: sexual abuse] What happened when the infosec community outed its own sexual predators - The Verge
- [55:30] [CW: sexual assult] The CCC: Men Who Hate Women
- [56:53] Alternatives to 34C3 in Berlin
- [58:10] Citizen Code of Conduct
- [1:02:41] Code of Conduct Enforcement Warning Signs | Otter Tech Consulting
- [1:05:07] American Girl & NASA: Girl of the Year Luciana
As we ring in 2018, we look back on a big year at The Recompiler. We did tons of podcasts, published four new issues, and launched our first book. Thanks to our generous Kickstarter backers we raised over $24,000 to bring you even more for 2018. Four New Issues of The Recompiler This past year, … Continue reading Ring in the new year with The Recompiler
This week Audrey and I chat about different efforts to preserve meaningful, community-oriented access to the web, a wild update to the Mirai botnet story, and more. Enjoy!
- [03:43] CFP Issue 10 Science
- [04:50] A Plan to Rescue the Web
- [22:28] Motherboard Building a Community Internet
- [27:33] A Modern BBS
- [34:29] LibraryBox
- [44:27] How we name Wifi Networks
- [44:55] Mirai Botnet and Minecraft
- [53:08] endless.horse
- [55:48] feminist tech baby
This week Audrey and I talk about Bitcoin and it's monstrous power consumption, Patreon's fee changes, community broadband efforts, and more. Enjoy! Show notes
This week Audrey and I talk about WayMo vs Uber, the surprising ways Expensify, and probably a lot of other web services are using Mechanical Turk, the recent macOS High Sierra vulnerability, and more. Enjoy! Show notes
This week Audrey and I chat about Net Neutrality, the state of the Open Web, Facebook's latest bad behavior, and more. Enjoy! Show notes