This episode we talk about moral clauses in FOSS licenses, ShotSpotter’s partnership with Verizon, how Buffer bought out its VCs, and WayMo. https://recompilermag.com/2018/10/11/episode-73-a-bold-move Devopsdays Portland - SEPTEMBER 11-13, 2018 - RECOMPILERFRIENDS 20% discount http://devopsdays.org/events/2018-portland/ Community Event Planning pre-order Still time to get in on the book previews https://community-events-2.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders Survey for event organizers https://airtable.com/shrvbemYqHvL1Z7tt Call for Contributors, Issue 12 Machines and Things https://recompilermag.com/2018/07/24/call-for-contributors-for-issue-12-machines-things/ Major Open Source Project Revokes Access to Companies That Work with ICE https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/8xbynx/major-open-source-project-revokes-access-to-companies-that-work-with-ice Stop using my tools, racists https://github.com/palantir/blueprint/issues/2876 Palantir employees are racist and they need to stop using my tools https://github.com/palantir/blueprint/issues/2877 Add text to MIT License banning ICE collaborators https://github.com/lerna/lerna/pull/1616 Please remove jamiebuilds as maintainer for CoC violations https://github.com/lerna/lerna/issues/1630 Remove Microsoft from Restrictive License https://github.com/lerna/lerna/pull/1631 Restore unmodified MIT license https://github.com/lerna/lerna/pull/1633 SPDX license list https://spdx.org/licenses/index.html My potted view on adding extra ethical clauses to open source licenses https://mastodon.social/@mala/100642002012668168 ShotSpotter Expands Verizon Partnership With Reseller Agreement for Gunshot Detection Services http://globenewswire.com/news-release/2018/08/28/1557516/0/en/ShotSpotter-Expands-Verizon-Partnership-With-Reseller-Agreement-for-Gunshot-Detection-Services.html Ingrid Burrington on Twitter: "So one way to read this is it's a way for Shotspotter installations to avoid any resident pushback by burying them in a contract–instead of making SST a line item, it's just tacked onto a broader services agreement with Verizon that wouldn't otherwise raise eyebrows." https://twitter.com/lifewinning/status/1035211677375946752 Rochester man shot by police sues cops, city, and ShotSpotter https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2018/08/30/silvon-simmons-rochester-police-officer-joseph-ferrigno-gun-lawsuit/1119014002/ We Spent $3.3M Buying Out Investors: Why and How We Did It https://open.buffer.com/buying-out-investors/ Amir Efrati on Twitter: "Just out: The truth about Waymo... https://t.co/q9Oet5j5Ck" https://twitter.com/amir/status/1034442936774258688 A day in the life of a Waymo self-driving taxi - The Verge https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/21/17762326/waymo-self-driving-ride-hail-fleet-management Donut County http://donutcounty.com/ Martin “Sexy Nuclear Disarmament” Pfeiffer🏳️🌈 on Twitter: "🚨NOW PUBLICLY ACCESSIBLE🚨 Find below the link to my complete archive of 1951-1997 Sandia nuclear laboratory documents from my FOIA. https://t.co/Z8BzUTdF6g You can also support my work at: https://t.co/GzHV653OGL or https://t.co/tvFac0gW44… https://t.co/243xjjkj5k" https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1035331181141581824
This week Audrey and I chat about Microsoft’s acquisition of GitHub, Apple’s WWDC announcements, why you may not want to engage in witness tampering using WhatsApp, and Tesla autopilot’s role in a fatal crash earlier this year. https://recompilermag.com/2018/06/21/episode-64-now-with-tongue-detection
- [01:20] Devopsdays Portland - SEPTEMBER 11-13, 2018 - RECOMPILERFRIENDS 20% discount
- [02:21] Open Source Bridge Grand Finale
- [04:28] GitHub Is Microsoft’s $7.5 Billion Undo Button - Bloomberg
- [21:06] Paul Manafort: How did the FBI access his WhatsApp messages?
- [26:31] WWDC 2018: Everything Apple Announced at the June 4 WWDC Keynote | WIRED
- [37:25] NTSB: Autopilot steered Tesla car toward traffic barrier before deadly crash
- [41:37] Contemporary Takes on Cuckoo Clocks by Guido Zimmerman Resemble Brutalist Block Buildings | Colossal
- [43:36] Retracing the Steps of a Pioneering Seed Collector Who Starved in a Stalinist Prison
This week Audrey and I chat about recent autonomous vehicle fatalities, consequences of arbitrary file storage in Bitcoin’s blockchain, the OIG’s report on the FBI’s statements about their iPhone hacking capabilities, and more. Enjoy! Show notes
- [00:51] Heartifacts - Use the code media-RECOMPILE for 20% off registration
- [02:03] The Responsible Communication Style Guide is headed back to the printers!
- [03:00] Uber settles with family of woman killed by self-driving car | Technology | The Guardian
- [06:26] Exclusive: Arizona governor and Uber kept self-driving program secret, emails reveal | Technology | The Guardian
- [23:13] Child abuse imagery found within bitcoin's blockchain | Technology | The Guardian
- [23:40] A Quantitative Analysis of the Impact of Arbitrary Blockchain Content on Bitcoin (pdf)
- [33:19] Who and What Is Coinhive?
- [40:14] Android Monero-Mining Malware Can Cause Device Failure
- [42:11] Microsoft to ban 'offensive language' from Skype, Xbox, Office and other services
- [44:32] Sex Workers Say Porn on Google Drive Is Suddenly Disappearing - Motherboard
- [48:43] A Special Inquiry Regarding the Accuracy of FBI Statements Concerning its Capabilities to Exploit an iPhone Seized During the San Bernardino Terror Attack Investigation (pdf)
- [58:44] ASL Cooking Show - YouTube
- [1:01:01] How to use Sieve | FastMail