Hello Recompilers, Good news. The Recompiler Issue #9: Hard Problems is available (and #8 is here). Like a bitter fruit, let's indulge in a little nostalgia. "You're what I couldn't find: A totally amazing mind, So understanding and so kind, You're everything to me." "Dreams", Cranberries. Reading: Inclusivity through ungendered design: "The perpetuation of gender stereotypes through design... harms the ability for … Continue reading Newsletter #26: The Spectre of Loss
This week Audrey and I chat about the impact of Spectre and Meltdown, how easy it is to harvest credit cards numbers in the browser, and Kodak's new cryptocurrency. Enjoy!
- [01:26] What it looks like when you're neighborhood grocery store shuts down
- [06:02] Sams club closures
- [09:19] iPhone performance benchmarks after Spectre security update | Melv1n
- [10:51] "this translates into seven figures in our AWS bill"
- [13:29] Speculative execution considered harmful in 1995
- [14:44] Phabricator is not affected by Spectre or Meltdown because PHP is too slow
- [15:55] What Spectre and Meltdown Mean For WebKit
- [16:33] I’m harvesting credit card numbers and passwords from your site. Here’s how.
- [29:02] Attack of the Week: Group Messaging in WhatsApp and Signal
- [34:31] Kodak bitcoin miner on display at CES 2018
- [36:37] Kodak announces its own cryptocurrency and watches stock price skyrocket
- [39:02] Monkey selfie copyright dispute
- [43:44] This man has made more money trading cryptokitties than investing in his IRA
- [45:47] Blockchain is an elaborate work-around for a *very specific problem*
- [47:26] I Partied With The Robot Strippers Before The CES
- [48:49] Neural Network Pies
- [51:03] Cat that has never been so insulted in all nine of its lives of the day.
This week Audrey and I chat about Spectre and Meltdown. Enjoy!
- [10:17] Speculative Executive
- [41:09] Chrome site isolation
- [40:51] Mitigations landing for new class of timing attack (Mozilla Security)
- [44:29] Intel CEO sells crap ton of stock before Spectre and Meltdown made public
- [48:39] Google maps
- [50:52] this is how much i’m striving to love myself this year
- [51:27] TFW your 1979 VAX 11/750 is immune to the Intel kernel memory leak bug