Hello Recompilers, We're still taking pre-orders for the second printing of the The Responsible Communication Style Guide. Reserve your copy now. Did you miss Issue 7: Security? Never fear; it's online here! Or if you want a print copy you can order one. Reading: Sex workers switch to Mastodon. Megan Farokhmanesh (The Verge) reports that sex workers are migrating to an instance of … Continue reading Newsletter #38: A Facebook that Only Big Brother Could Love
Episode 56: Something about Scully’s vibrator
This week Audrey and I chat about recent autonomous vehicle fatalities, consequences of arbitrary file storage in Bitcoin’s blockchain, the OIG’s report on the FBI’s statements about their iPhone hacking capabilities, and more. Enjoy! Show notes
- [00:51] Heartifacts - Use the code media-RECOMPILE for 20% off registration
- [02:03] The Responsible Communication Style Guide is headed back to the printers!
- [03:00] Uber settles with family of woman killed by self-driving car | Technology | The Guardian
- [06:26] Exclusive: Arizona governor and Uber kept self-driving program secret, emails reveal | Technology | The Guardian
- [23:13] Child abuse imagery found within bitcoin's blockchain | Technology | The Guardian
- [23:40] A Quantitative Analysis of the Impact of Arbitrary Blockchain Content on Bitcoin (pdf)
- [33:19] Who and What Is Coinhive?
- [40:14] Android Monero-Mining Malware Can Cause Device Failure
- [42:11] Microsoft to ban 'offensive language' from Skype, Xbox, Office and other services
- [44:32] Sex Workers Say Porn on Google Drive Is Suddenly Disappearing - Motherboard
- [48:43] A Special Inquiry Regarding the Accuracy of FBI Statements Concerning its Capabilities to Exploit an iPhone Seized During the San Bernardino Terror Attack Investigation (pdf)
- [58:44] ASL Cooking Show - YouTube
- [1:01:01] How to use Sieve | FastMail
Episode 55: An ouroboros of crappy privacy
This week Audrey and I chat about Cambridge Analytica, anti-sex trafficking bill SESTA/FOSTA, Google News Initiative and more. Enjoy!
- [02:28] The Responsible Communication Style Guide is headed back to the printers!
- [04:18] ‘I made Steve Bannon’s psychological warfare tool’: meet the data war whistleblower
- [13:56] Robert Mercer: the big data billionaire waging war on mainstream media | Politics | The Guardian
- [15:13] The Reclusive Hedge-Fund Tycoon Behind the Trump Presidency | The New Yorker
- [15:37] Paul Ford: Facebook Is Why We Need a Digital Protection Agency - Bloomberg
- [24:23] How Controversial Anti-Sex Trafficking Bill Will Screw Over Sex Workers - Rolling Stone
- [25:38] Communications Decency Act - Wikipedia
- [26:24] Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act - Wikipedia
- [36:46] Post-SESTA/FOSTA Self-Censoring for Twitter, Reddit, and other Social Media
- [38:11] Melissa Gira Grant (@melissagira)
- [38:48] Floor Remarks: CDA 230 and SESTA – Ron Wyden – Medium
- [41:19] Slack picked a weird time to make it easier for bosses to download you
- [48:35] yan on Twitter: "fun way to monitor someone's IP address:..."
- [50:24] The Google News Initiative: Building a stronger future for news
- [59:21] 12 Things Everyone Should Understand About Tech – Humane Tech – Medium
- [59:34] Why is your email in my car? | daniel.haxx.se
- [1:01:10] Dialects of English: Take The Dialects of American English Survey